Acne--this chronic inflammatory skin problem affects millions of Americans. Are you one of them? if you are, your Andover dermatologists, Dr. Alan Rockoff and Dr. Katherine Fening, would like to help. At The Rockoff Dermatology Center, they diagnose and treat teens and adults who wish to manage their acne lesions, have clearer skin and feel better about themselves. Learn here about treatment, and have hope.
Who and where?
Acne typically plagues more teens than adults. However, in recent years, says the American Academy of Dermatology, physicians and aestheticians see more and more women in the thirties, forties and beyond.
Typical areas affected by whiteheads, blackheads, and even severe cystic acne include the:
- Upper arms
In the most stubborn acne, patients experience redness, soreness, pain and even infection. Of course, the psycho-social consequences can be devastating as well.
Treating and managing acne
At The Rockoff Dermatology Center, Dr. Rockoff and Dr. Fening diagnose acne by visual inspection and by listening to their patient's symptoms (when lesions appear and what may help). Then, based on their findings, the Andover dermatologists devise individualized care plans to reduce flare-ups and scarring and help improve self-image.
Treatments may include:
- Topically-applied antibiotics
- Over-the-counter cleansers (benzoyl peroxide is a common active ingredient)
- Isotrenoin (Accutane), or other retinol prescription
- In-office extraction of comedones
At home, patients can take more control of their break-outs by:
- Gently washing their faces, and other affected areas, twice a day with mild soap or cleanser as recommended
- Avoiding picking at lesions
- Avoiding oily cosmetics, including lotions and sunscreen (they tend to plug pores and hair follicles)
- Getting sensible amounts of sunshine (but do not tan or burn)
- Limiting greasy and fatty foods and increasing intake of fruits and vegetables
It can be good when you enlist the help of the caring professionals at The Rockoff Dermatology Center. If you are struggling with acne, please call one of our convenient offices for a consultation. In Brookline, MA call (617) 731-2390. In Andover, MA phone (978) 475-9230.