Posts for tag: skin care
What your dermatologist in Andover wants you to know
Protecting your skin is important if you want to look young and healthy. The winter months are very hard on your skin and can make skin appear dry, flaky and irritated. Fortunately, there are many things you can do to protect your skin from the harshness and cold of winter. Dr. Alan Rockoff and Dr. Katherine Fening at the Rockoff Dermatology Center in Andover, Massachusetts want to help you take care of your skin in cold weather.
If you enjoy cold weather sports like skiing, snowboarding or sledding, it’s important to cover up as much skin as possible to protect yourself from harsh winds and cold temperatures. Wear ski masks and other face protection as often as you can to protect the delicate skin on your face.
Dr. Rockoff wants you to also remember these simple and important tips to care for your skin as the weather gets colder:
- Use a sunscreen with SPF 15 or higher for everyday protection because it’s just as easy to get sunburned in the winter.
- Use a sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher if you are outdoors in the snow for a long period of time.
- Use cream moisturizers daily after showering; avoid moisturizers which have an alcohol base because they can be very drying to your skin.
- Don’t take long, hot showers because they can dry your skin; instead, shower with lukewarm water for a short period of time.
- Use gentle soaps and washes to clean your skin, and avoid exfoliating during the winter.
- Don’t forget to protect your lips by always wearing lip balm when you are outside.
During the winter months, there is less moisture in the air, and the dry climate can cause your skin to appear flaky. If you have a skin condition like psoriasis or eczema, it may become worse during the winter. It’s very helpful to install a humidifier in your home to increase moisture levels in the air, especially while you sleep.
Your skin doesn’t have to suffer because of the cold winter months. Protect your skin against the sun, wind, and cold and your skin will protect you! For more information about skin care in winter or year-round, call Dr. Alan Rockoff at the Rockoff Dermatology Center in Andover, Massachusetts. Call today and get ready for winter!